As tax season rolls along, remember that as a First Source Member, you can file with Turbo Tax for free if you go through our website, since we are a Turbo Tax preferred partner. There are two versions of the software—a free version, and a paid version—and as a Member, you can also get $5 off the paid version price. If you choose to have your refund directly deposited into your account, we have a few helpful tips.
Every year some people’s tax returns end up in others’ accounts, due to errors in submitted account numbers. Should this happen, you’ll have to call the IRS at 800-829-1040, and have them file an IRS form 3911 to trace the check. To minimize problems, follow the easy steps below:
- Use caution when setting up the direct deposit of your tax refunds. Refunds are deposited solely based on account number, not by name.
- Make sure you use your full 9-digit routing number and 14-digit account number.
- Make sure you submit an active checking or savings account.
- Do not add or delete any zeros.
- Double- and triple-check all information and numbers before submitting your account information.
Of course, the best way to plan for tax season every year is to build your own savings year round! If you have a good-sized buffer in your checking account, consider earning more with a Money Market account or Term Share Certificate. Call or make an appointment online, and we can help you make a plan.
We wish you a stress-free tax experience!